Rockville Centre at a Glance
||24,568 (2000 Census).
||9,200 (6,000 single family homes, 3,200
Residential community of primarily one-family homes with some town houses, condominiums
||3.3 square miles.
||Southwestern Nassau County.
||1 - Molloy College.
Houses of Worship:
||11 Churches, 2 Synagogues.
Headquarters of the Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre.
||Village Police Department.
||300+ Volunteers in Seven companies; over 2,000 calls
Distance from N.Y.C.:
||25 miles east of mid-town
Train time to N.Y.C.:
||Long Island Railroad station (Babylon Line)
Approximately 35 minutes. LIRR Train Schedule.
Driving time to Kennedy Airport:
||Village owned and operated.
||Two medical centers - Mercy and South Nassau.
Four medical office buildings.
||10 banks, 2 movie theaters (7 screens),
9 professional office buildings, scores of
||8 with fields, playgrounds,
facilities; 6 for walking, sitting.
||1 - St. Agnes Cathedral School (grades 1-8).
||The Village of Rockville Centre and the Rockville Centre School
District do not have the same boundaries. Most Village residents
live in the Rockville Centre School District, which maintains five
elementary schools, a middle school and a high school. About 20
percent of Village residents live in the Oceanside School District
and attend one of two Oceanside elementary schools and the Oceanside
Middle School and High School. A few streets in the Village are
within the Baldwin School District.
Note: Several streets in South Hempstead are within
the Rockville Centre School District and are also assigned the 11570
postal zip code. This area is sometimes casually referred to as
“unincorporated Rockville Centre,” but it is not within the Village
boundaries and receives no services from the Village of Rockville
Village is served by two public libraries-- Rockville Centre Public
Library and Oceanside Public Library-- whose service areas
coincide with the school district boundaries. Both offer access to
the collections of more than 75 libraries in Nassau County.
SOME INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT ROCKVILLE CENTRE
December l3,1643 - Sachem
Tackapousha, chief of the Indians occupying the "Rockaways" and south shore of
Long Island, and six other chiefs signed a deed granting Englishmen a large tract of land
encompassing all the southern half of what is now Nassau County. Twelve years later,
fearing that the Indians felt inadequately compensated. Governor Nichols of New York wrote
the magistrates of the newly established Town of Hempstead to "pay Tackapousha
further gratuities for payment of lands which he said were bought too cheap . . . and
prevent trouble and settle it one and for all." In 1657 they did just that and added
to the original payment "some great cattle, and some small cattle, and some wampum,
and some hatchets, some knives, some trading cloth, and . . . some powder and lead, and
they went away for anything I know very well satisfied." as recorded by one of the
January 27, 1849 - The Rockville
Centre Post Office was established.
1852 - Plans for he building of
the "Jamaica Plank Road," the major route from the farms of the South Shore
(including Rockville Centre) to New York City. Three or four stage coaches carried
passengers from Rockville Centre to the City and back every week, and the road was
considered a great technological advance over the dirt roads that prevailed. The
"Plank Road" is now known as Merrick Road.
June 16th, 1865 - Rockville
Centre's first newspaper, "The Picket" was published. "The Picket",
later known as the "Daily Review" and the "Nassau Daily Review", ran
continuously for 88 years. Copies of these papers can still be read on microfilm in the
Rockville Centre Library and the New York Historical Society at Adelphi University, and
make a fascinating account of daily life in Rockville Centre from the mid-19th to mid-20th
September 23, 1867 - Long Island
Rail Road service began. A year after service began, the Picket reported the commutation
rates between Rockville Centre and New York City was $65 a year, $30 for two months and
$45 for six months.
January, 1872 - Union Free
School District established
1882 - Rockville Centre Public
July 15, 1893 - Rockville
Centre's first Policeman hired, Joseph Shelly, at an annual salary of $500 per year.
1895 - Municipal Water
1898 - Municipal Electric Light
Department established. The first electric wires strung on poles throughout the business
district of the Village delivered power at night only. Residents were permitted to tap the
lines to "electrify" they homes between sundown and dawn only.
1906 - New York Telephone
Company opened service in Rockville Centre.